Delta Squad - DCS World, Squad Leader: RAF_DaddyO
Information on flight times, and squad-specific postings belong here

Moderator: RAF_DaddyO

RAF_DaddyO
Site Admin

DCS Combat Ticker!

Postby RAF_DaddyO » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 pm

S!

Check it out! New tab, new feature... live from our DCS Server - The Combat Ticker. Records all events by pilots and displays them here in reverse chrono order every 3 seconds!
So, you can see what's happening on the server, or record your mission sorties and debrief using the list to check out what happened while you were on!

(ps - ground kills are not listed as they can be too numerous and fast to record in real time, i might be able to find a way to record them later by accumulating them or something ;-))

S! Enjoy,
DDO
RAF_DaddyO
RAF662 CFSG C-in-C

RAF_Raven

Re: DCS Combat Ticker!

Postby RAF_Raven » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:41 am

Hey DDO, nice job that looks great :RAFSalute:

Rav
RAF_DaddyO
Site Admin

Re: DCS Combat Ticker!

Postby RAF_DaddyO » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:20 pm

S! thanks,
I have a little cleanup to do on it to make it read better (done!),

And perhaps later to optimize it. Just watch for any performance lag on the server caused by it. I wasn't able to implement it exactly how i would have liked due to some strangeness with the DCS/Lua scripting, but it should work. Just watch for any performance issues you may see.

PS - for no additional lag, we could also have Winston parrot the events into discord too! ;-)... remember the bot scripting you showed me. The file is written on the z:\ drive called: DDOStats_EventsSession.txt, and its a no-header CSV file. Winston/bot could also unwind that file and parrot its output into discord if we want.

pps- the file gets reset every server restart (which right now unfortunately is pretty often), later on, we may wish to have this file be a rolling list of just the events of the last two hours or something, so it doesn't get too big. Right now thats not really a problem cause the server doesn't stay up much longer than 12 hrs or so.

ppps - watch what you chat in the game ;-)... its published to the web! (at least temporarily till next restart). I saw RT talking about that last night...;-) LOL...

S!
DDO
RAF_DaddyO
RAF662 CFSG C-in-C

RAF_DaddyO
Site Admin

Re: DCS Combat Ticker! (server changes)

Postby RAF_DaddyO » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:35 pm

S!
Ok after a horrible day yesterday which involved an entire server reinstallation because i couldn't start our missions... i think we're back.

Couple of things of note:

- New Combat ticker is alive and active, its optimized now to only hold the last 10 events, and roll old events off the bottom of the list beyond 10 - we also turned of tracking of chat messages ;-), this is for performance, memory savings and mainly to save game lag when trying to save the eventstracker file so it will stay small. (For some unknown reason, the DCS lua environment doesn't properly support the lua file system 'append' function, which is what i was hoping to use for these files, so we wouldn't have to carry the whole event log file in lua memory and flush it to file every time. But thru extensive testing and lots more wasted time, it doesn't support this. Native LUA does though! arrg... So long story short, we have a rolling ticker and we can change the depth of how many events it holds in our serversettings.lua file.)

- I've temporarily deactivated SRS. SRS has been another pain in my backside, keeping it up to date, reading the SRS file (=more lag) which has many quirks, and it also contributes to additional game LUA/scripting traffic as well. Its just more CPU drain, and i suspect it, in conjunction with all our necessary scripting may be contributing to stability and possible lag problems. So.... until further notice SRS is disabled and not running. I'm going to run like this for a while, and if it helps to leave it off, i may then remove our menuing and other vestiges of it. (for now we have discord, and ts3 of course!) PS _ i loved SRS when it worked, its very immersive, but its probably more trouble than its worth. Folks (other than me ;-< ) don't use it much.

Steer pilots toward discord or ts3 please.

S! Enjoy,
DDO
RAF_DaddyO
RAF662 CFSG C-in-C