Moderator: RAF_DaddyO

RAF_Raven

DCS Spitfire & P51D - Wing Break Test

Postby RAF_Raven » Wed May 10, 2017 2:47 am

RAF_DaddyO
Site Admin

Re: DCS Spitfire & P51D - Wing Break Test

Postby RAF_DaddyO » Fri May 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Interesting... i looked at it and tried the settings, but i guess my muscle-memory didn't like it as much. It felt way to mushy for me. I'm still used to much more aggressive curves and gentler stick throws. I even changed the roll and rudder too, but it all felt too mushy for me. So... i dialed it back between where i had it and where he has it. Maybe a good compromise, hopefully. Need smooth/stable controls for shooting, but full-throws for responsiveness i guess. I think his investigation provides good fuel for thought though. And... also, each AC is has a different response as well which is a good indication the ED modeled things carefully.
DDO
RAF_DaddyO
RAF662 CFSG C-in-C

RAF_Grit

Postby RAF_Grit » Tue May 16, 2017 12:19 am

I can't tell what he's trying to show here. Different aircraft have different structural limits, and different amounts of control authority. Trying to "normalize" all aircraft so they behave the same doesn't make any sort of sense to me.

Even so, there are too many variables unaccounted for here:

1. The amount of stick deflection is important, but so is the rate of change in stick position. How quickly you reach a certain deflection matters enormously—the longer it takes to reach a given deflection, the lower the speed will be at full deflection. And it doesn't take much of a speed difference to make a huge difference in g-loading (one of the reasons why aircraft have maximum g-limits, and maximum maneuvering speeds).

2. It's hard to tell what the steepness of the dive is, but he doesn't mention trying to keep this consistent. Why does this matter? Because if he's not starting the pull-up at the same altitude for both aircraft the speeds may not be the same. Indicated airspeed gets lower as you ascend—if you're indicating 100 knots at sea level, and that's your true airspeed, at altitude 100 knots indicated could be a lot faster than 100 knots. So if you have the same pullout at an indicated 420 mph, but altitude's not the same you could be testing a 440-mph pullout vs a 420-mph pullout. And that's a big difference.

I haven't flown DCS (yet), but it seems we went through a discussion about mapping stick curves in IL-2, and eventually we all wound up maxing out the deflection across the board, creating a linear curve. At least that's what I ended up doing, which most closely approximates how aircraft are rigged. (Exceptions being fly-by-wire aircraft, in which stick deflection merely indicates what you want the aircraft to do, and a computer interprets this input and moves the flight controls accordingly.)

Really curious to see what DCS Normandy system requirements are going to be, and if my system will tolerate them.
—Grit
:RAFSalute:
RAF_Raven

Postby RAF_Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 am

S! Grit

Some have trouble flying the Spitfire(aggressively) and lose a wing in DCS(I lose one every now and then ask DDO). You have some good points. Here are system requirements for Normandy

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.
RAF_Grit

Postby RAF_Grit » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm gonna need a RAM upgrade, and a video card. So it's gonna be awhile before I'm in DCS. :cry:

But at least it appears my CPU will handle it, so that's something.
—Grit
RAF_Beerbuzz

Postby RAF_Beerbuzz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:20 am

Just ordered new video card
RAF_Grit

Postby RAF_Grit » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Through the miracle of friendship, and a little wheeling-dealing, it looks like my video card upgrade is in the works. (Thank you, Mighty RAF_Beerbuzz! :salute: )

Now gotta solve my RAM issue, and I should be up to snuff for DCS.

I needs to finds 4 sticks of 4GB DDR3 memory. It's old, so we're past the sweet spot of when the stuff was just being dumped—now the pricing has crept back up because it's "rare and collectible," :lol: . Four 4GB memory cards appear to have a new market price of about $120-130, which is shocking since that's about what I used to pay for video cards.

If anyone has a good source for old memory of this sort I'd appreciate the tip. Or if any of you have four used sticks of the appropriate flavor RAM lying around you'd be willing to part with for a reasonable deal, I'd be happy to shift some funds your way via PayPal—just shoot me a PM, please. Thought it was worth asking here, before I dive into the darkness known as e(vil)Bay.

Which means you'd best enjoy the skies of DCS now, before they become polluted by the likes of me. :roll:
—Grit