Delta Squad - DCS World, Squad Leader: RAF_DaddyO
Information on flight times, and squad-specific postings belong here

Moderator: RAF_DaddyO

RAF_DaddyO
Site Admin

DCS World 2.0 Normandy Graphics Settings

Postby RAF_DaddyO » Mon May 29, 2017 7:06 pm

S! all,

Rav and I and our DCS friends out there continue to tune our rigs against the new 2.0 open alpha and Normandy map. We're running a free flight server test now, so folks can tune up and get acquainted. The new map and updates look amazing!!

I believe I've just hit upon a NICE combo of settings for my rig, and wanted to post them so others can get a leg-up on tuning and working on their settings.
I think with the right settings, v2.0 Open Alpha is playing at least as good if not better than v1.5. So wanted to start a thread here to help>

Rav and i just did a great formation TO, and flight across the map, and i was getting: 40-60fps on the ground, 50-60 and but mostly 60fps for the whole flight.
It was fantastic, especially flying formation with that kind of smoothness!

My Rig:
GPU - GEForce GTX 1060, 3gb, clock: 1632 Mhz, driver 328.33
CPU - AMD FX- 4170 Quad core processor - 4.21Ghz
RAM - 16.00 GB
Win7/64 Bit OS

UPDATE! One important setting... shown below as ON (deferred shading), there might be issues with this. With it ON, the land and see look great, but
(We've noticed problems with many of the skins not displaying right if this is ON< so, ... take your pick. On balance Raven and I decided to leave it on, cause
the landscape looks much better. We did notice sporatic issues with the shadows on the p51 skins for instance with it on, but these seemed to clear up as you played in game more? odd but true.)

My graphics in Game settings are below:
dcs 2017-05-29 14-49-10.png
dcs 2017-05-29 14-49-24.png
dcs 2017-05-29 14-49-46.png
here's a couple of shots of our formation flying:

S!
DDO
Attachments
dcs 2017-05-29 14-12-53.png
dcs 2017-05-29 14-10-56.png
RAF_DaddyO
RAF662 CFSG C-in-C

RAF_DaddyO
Site Admin

Re: DCS World 2.0 Normandy Graphics Settings

Postby RAF_DaddyO » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Ok, another update on my latest graphics settings and a fresh screen posting that runs much better on my system.

Over the last few weeks I guess I've been overly optimistic about the graphics load my system would be able to carry and gradually kept upping the ante by bumping my settings up. Well, it did hit the wall on my system at some point, by giving some very nasty/frustrating results. I periodically got stutters when looking at the Normandy ships, and/or bombers, and other texture-intensive objects. Stutter = frames go suddenly from fps 60, to fps 15, for 2-3secs, back to 60,.. up down up down, etc. Very annoying - i searched everywhere and messed with just about every GC card setting I have looking for an answer. I thought it was a problem with the ships themselves and it still might be, but I really found my system's memory was overloaded. The other symptom I had was periodic lockups after playing for a while. Finally I discovered when this happened, by watching my system RAM it was completely consumed! Pegged at 16GB! (no where to go.)

After reading a very good post in the DCS hoggit site about this, the post said that the big maps like normandy use a lot of RAM (both Graphics card, and system) to handle the objects, and primarily the textures. The post said that after using the GC card memory first, DCS spills over into main system RAM next. And it swaps items in/out of main RAM to GC RAM for display as needed. So when you run outta system main RAM or if it has to swap things in/out of GC memory a lot you get exactly the symptoms I saw!

My GC is only 3gb, and my system is 16. Not bad, but not all that great either. I found I had all my texture settings set to High. After some hints from Raven, the pieces started to fall into place. I bumped the texture value down to MED... and viola! no more stutters, and memory both system and GC are now in normal ranges (about 3gb on the GC = totally consumed, but only about 5-7GB on system ram, so lots of head room there).

So.. with these settings below, i'm now getting 50-60fps in the air and about 40-50 on the ground! very nice, and no stutters now.
Here's my system
My Rig:
GPU - GEForce GTX 1060, 3gb, clock: 1632 Mhz, driver 328.33
CPU - AMD FX- 4170 Quad core processor - 4.21Ghz
RAM - 16.00 GB
Win7/64 Bit OS

Heres the better set of settings:
Desktop 2017-08-12 12-04-34.png

I suppose at the end of the day, if i had 6+GB mem on the GC and 32GB on my system, i'd be able to crank the settings higher, but these above, seem highly playable, and still look great.
S! Hope this helps some of you young hot shots coming up, save some time and headaches.
DDO
RAF_DaddyO
RAF662 CFSG C-in-C